25 May How to stay on top of home maintenance in Dubai
It isn’t easy; you’ll save a lot of time and money by hiring someone else to do it for you
Almost all of us are familiar with budgeting for things such as utilities, rent or mortgage, insurance and living expenses. Most of the time, we forget about the maintenance, repair and replacement costs that come with living in an apartment or villa in Dubai. If you aren’t great at staying on top of the maintenance needs of your home or even remembering that it is something that you need to do, it would be beneficial to look into getting an annual home maintenance contract.
Here’s what you need to know about annual maintenance contracts to make sure there are no more surprise breakdowns and failures in your home systems and appliances.
How does an annual contract work?
You pay a fixed annual fee for maintenance, repair and replacement services of covered home systems and appliances. This gives you priority access to emergency and maintenance services throughout the year. On average, contracts start from Dh1,500 a year and this amount increases depending on the number of services the client wants included in the contract, and the number of units of the home system, i.e., the number of air-conditioning units and the size of the property. The maintenance company technicians bring their own equipment and supplies when they receive a call. However, if something needs to be replaced, such as wiring, a light bulb, filters and valves – and unless you have an all-in contract – you will be paying for it out of your pocket.
What do the annual contracts cover
Annual maintenance contracts generally cover maintenance, repair and replacement of your major home systems, such as HVAC, plumbing and electrical. Depending on your home’s needs, additional services can be added to the contract. Property investors, for example, might need annual contracts which also include services such as pest control, pool maintenance, painting, etc. It is best to read the contract thoroughly before signing it so that you can be sure that it covers your needs.
The benefits of annual contracts
Once you have chosen a maintenance company and signed the contract you can:
- Avoid the high cost of unexpected breakdowns and failures. Handyman charges are usually by the hour and unless you moved into a newly-constructed space with brand-new home systems, you can expect to be calling a handyman quite frequently throughout the year if you don’t have an annual contract.
- You will have peace of mind that in case something does breakdown, such as the air-conditioning system in the middle of summer, you can call in and get it fixed right away.
- You can rest assured that licensed technicians will be dealing with any issues that pop up and avoid having to shop around for a professional each time something goes wrong in your home. This will also sit well with your home insurance provider and a home buyer if you ever put your home on the market.
- You will find that having an annual contract extends the life of your home systems.
- You will find yourself staying on top of home maintenance without doing any of the heavy lifting yourself. Home maintenance isn’t easy; you will save a lot of time by hiring someone else to do it for you.
- Your home systems, such as the HVAC, will perform efficiently and save you money on utility bills.
- As the maintenance firm catches up on delayed maintenance there will be less occurrences of surprise breakdowns and failures.
- You won’t have to purchase equipment and supplies needed to service or repair anything.
How to pick a maintenance company
When you are shopping around for a maintenance company, you need to find one that has technicians with a good reputation of showing up on time, maintaining a high standard of work and cleaning up after themselves. It doesn’t make sense to save time by not doing it yourself, but then having to spend time cleaning up after the specialists you called in. As you shop around, have a look at reviews and testimonials of each company to get a feel of their work ethic. Another thing that is quite important is to ask about the qualifications of the technicians and specialists that will be coming in to take care of your home. You want the work done in your home to be handled by experts and done safely and legally.
Now that you know how you can stay on top of home maintenance in Dubai with annual contracts, why not give us a call and schedule a meeting to discuss the way forward to get a cost-effective AMC?